Is God done with America? Has He washed His hands of the United States?
The declining state of national affairs and rise of secularism may suggest so. It isn’t surprising many Christians feel like the hope of our nation ever turning back to God is vanishing. But with God on the throne, it’s never right to abandon hope. Until Jesus returns in glory, there’s always time for revival and restoration.
In Joel 2, we’re reminded that our covenant-keeping God never gives up on rebellious people. He warns and He woos. The invitation stands: rend your hearts (genuine, heart-ripped-in-two repentance) and not your garments (superficial, half-hearted sorrow). For God who is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love may turn and relent and leave a blessing behind Him (Joel 2:13–14). A glorious offer of hope!
The course of history was reversed many times in the past when God’s people answered the call to return and repent. He can do it again today! Christians must blow the trumpet and sound the alarm for our nation’s eyes to be opened to fear the Lord and for our hearts to be melted to bow before His majesty.
Let us answer the urgent call to prayer (2 Chron. 7:14)! Using Psalm 33:8–12, let’s unite our hearts to pray with bold faith that God will relent and bless our nation.
A Prayer Guide for America
Let all the earth fear the LORD; let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him! For he spoke, and it came to be; he commanded, and it stood firm. —Psalm 33:8–9
- Father, we enter into Your throne room with humility and reverent fear. The blood of Jesus covers the passageway to You. We’re invited into Your presence through Him—but even more, we’re beckoned to come boldly, not timidly. Confidently, not cowardly. Oh God, such lavish mercy and grace is undeserved! We thank You that we are Your children (Heb. 9:11–14; 1 John 3:1).
- We stand in awe of Your mighty power that drained the Red Sea for Your people’s rescue and raised Jesus from the grave for Your people’s redemption. There is no god like You! You alone are worthy of our highest praise and worship (Ex. 15:21; Col. 2:12; Ps. 86:8).
- Nothing can withstand the power of Your Word. It cannot fail to accomplish its purpose. You will be exalted in all the earth (2 Chron. 20:6; Isa. 55:11; Ps. 46:10)!
The LORD brings the counsel of the nations to nothing; he frustrates the plans of the peoples. —Psalm 33:10
- We pause for You to search us. Show us our wrong thoughts, attitudes, and actions that grieve You. We confess every sin that hinders our relationship with You and interferes with our intercession. Cleanse our hands and purify our hearts (Ps. 139:23–24; 66:18–19; 24:3–4; James 5:16).
- We acknowledge that the moral decline of our nation reflects the spiritual decline of Your Church. Forgive us, Father. Arouse and cleanse Your Bride for the sake of Your Name and glory. Judgment begins with us. Pour out a spirit of humility and repentance upon our churches and our land. Have mercy on us (1 Peter 4:17; 5:5).
- We place our sole trust in You. Security isn’t found in the halls of government, the seats of court, or the vaults of financial institutions. Our future is in Your hands (Ps. 20:7).
- Thank You, Lord, that our country was founded upon the principle of freedom. Protect our freedoms as citizens of America (2 Cor. 3:17).
- We pray for our leaders on the local, state, and national level to be men and women of integrity and honor who govern with wisdom from above. Let them execute judgment with compassion and equity (James 3:17; Prov. 14:34; Mic. 6:8).
- Guide our president and government officials to seek and accept wise counsel. Turn their hearts to You and direct their decisions (Prov. 11:14; 15:22; Isa. 30:21).
- Ignite a spiritual awakening in our president and members of Congress. Bring many leaders to a saving faith in Jesus Christ (Ps. 85:4–7; Rom. 13:1; Acts 2:21).
- May Americans approach the privilege of voting responsibly and prayerfully. If election results are disappointing, we remember You hold the king’s heart and we do not need to fear (Matt. 22:21; Isa. 41:10; Prov. 21:1).
- We pray truth will prevail in a culture of lies, deceit, and slander. May we look to You for truth and not to ourselves. We ask for fair reporting and integrity in the media (Prov. 3:5–6; 6:16–19; John 8:32).
- Tear down our idols of greed, independence, and power. Cause a holy fear of God to sweep across our nation. Give our nation’s leaders bold courage to make the right decisions, neither fearing man or political correctness (Eph. 4:17–20; 2 Chron. 19:7; Prov. 29:25).
- God of Light, overcome the darkness of hatred, evil, violence, and sexual immorality that plagues our country with genuine love, kindness, compassion, and purity (Rom. 13:12–14; Col. 3:12; 1 John 3:3).
The counsel of the LORD stands forever, the plans of his heart to all generations. —Psalm 33:11
- We’re reminded that while men make their many plans, Your purpose will stand forever. Nothing can thwart Your plans (Prov. 19:21; Isa. 46:10).
- We pray Christians will stand for truth without compromise. May our winsome witness point to the beauty and power of the gospel. Lord, let us make much of Christ in a world that makes a mockery of Him (John 17:17; 15:18; Rom. 1:16).
- O God, be merciful and forgive us for claiming the right to destroy life. Turn the tide against abortion and infanticide. Let us treasure all life from the moment of conception to the grave. Let us value all life as a precious gift from You (Ps. 139:13–16; Gen. 1:27).
- May we be fervent in prayer for our elected officials so Christians can live peaceful, godly lives and so the gospel may advance to the ends of the earth (1 Tim. 2:1–4; Matt. 24:14).
Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD, the people whom he has chosen as his heritage! —Psalm 33:12
- Jesus, we sing praise because You are reigning in heaven and will put all the enemies of the Father under Your feet (1 Cor. 15:24–25).
- From the beginning of time, Your plan included all the nations, not just one, to be part of Your heritage (Ps. 2:8).
- We rejoice that one day every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus is Lord (Phil. 2:9–11)! We long for that day when a multitude from every tribe and nation will cry together (Rev. 7:9–12):
“Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!” . . .
“For the Lamb in the midst of the throne will be their shepherd, and he will guide them to springs of living water, and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes” (Rev. 7:10, 17).
Come, Lord Jesus! Amen.