It is important to have a regular reading plan that includes all of God’s Word (2 Timothy 3:16). Yet, at the same time, don’t put yourself in a box. Variety is healthy and keeps your times with the Lord fresh. Use different ideas, approaches, and devotionals for reading God’s Word.
Tips for Topical Study
Spend time seeking the Lord about an area of spiritual growth you wish to pursue. Here are a few suggestions.
Take some time each day to look up several Scriptures pertaining to the particular topic. A good way to accomplish this is by using a concordance. Simply look up a few references at a time, jotting down notes as you go and cross-referencing related passages.
Record passages that are particularly meaningful or thought provoking on 3x5 cards or a journal for memorization.
Research, purchase, and read good books on the particular topic. A strong commentary is quite helpful as a study tool. Use resources as you would a school textbook. Don’t just read, but thoroughly study the subject.
Ask questions about the topic you’re studying. Be inquisitive in order to learn. Ask questions as you read Scripture.
Other Recommended Tools
- New Tools and a Timeless Book (ROH podcast series) - "New generations of believers expect to learn using electronic means. Learn more how you can use technology to connect them with timesless truth."
- BibleGateway.com - online Bible in many versions, concordance, and devotionals
- StudyLight.org - online Bible study tools
- BlueLetterBible.org - online Bible study tools
- Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance (if you use the King James Version)
- Vine's Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words (if you use the King James Version)
- The New American Standard Exhaustive Concordance (if you use the New American Standard Bible)
Commentaries and study Bibles:
- The ESV Study Bible
- The MacArthur Study Bible
- The Bible Knowledge Commentary
- The Wycliffe Bible Commentary
- Prayers of the Martyrs
- The Valley of Vision
- Heavenly Springs
- Streams in the Desert
- Keep a Quiet Heart
- The Seeking Heart
- The Christian in Complete Armor
- Gleanings from William Gurnall
- Rekindling the Inner Fire series (A series of devotional books, each based on a well-known figure or group.)
- God Is Enough
- The Christian Book of Mystical Verse
- Gleanings from Thomas Watson
© Revive Our Hearts. By Nancy DeMoss Wolgemuth. Used with permission. www.ReviveOurHearts.com