Potential Pitfalls of Ministry (Conference Message Outline)
- June 7, 2011
by Nancy Leigh DeMoss
1. Losing the ________________________.
Do I have a genuine passion for Christ and ministry? Have I lost the wonder of my relationship with Christ, of the call to ministry? Am I just going through the motions?
2. Proclaiming truth we’re not ________________.
“The message must be part of ourselves . . . Our lives must be the sacrament of our message . . . Before God’s message can liberate other souls, the liberation must be real in you.”
~ Oswald Chambers
- Is there any issue that God has revealed in His Word that I am not obeying?
- Am I living, walking as a “repenter”?
- Is my private lifestyle consistent with that which I proclaim to others?
- Could I say to those who follow me, “Live your life just as I do, and God will bless you”?
3. Neglecting our ________________________ with the Lord.
“No amount of activity in the King’s service will make up for the neglect of the King Himself.”
~Robert Murray McCheyne
Do I have a vital, growing, intimate, love relationship with the Lord Jesus? Am I nurturing “my vineyard” through daily time in His presence, in the Word and prayer?
4. Relying on the _______________.
a. Natural ________________ and _________________.
“If there is any human explanation for our Christian service . . . then however impressive our work may appear in the eyes of men, it will be burnt up in the day of testing as wood, hay, and straw . . . The only work that will abide for eternity is that which is produced in humble dependence upon the power of God’s Holy Spirit.”
~ William Gurnall
b. Natural _____________, __________________, or ___________________.
How does my life evidence a dependence on the power of the Holy Spirit?
What is there about my life and ministry that cannot be explained apart from God?
Am I allowing God to stretch me, to push me out of the “comfort zone” of what I think I can handle?
Am I laying down my life for people, or am I just applying principles and programs to their problems?
5. Leaving the pathway of ________________________.
“Knowing your strength lies wholly in God and not in yourself, remain humble—even when God is blessing and using you most. … God’s favor is neither the work of your own hands nor the price of your own worth. How can you boast of what you did not buy? If you embezzle God’s strength and credit it to your own account, He will soon call an audit and take back what was His all along.”
~ William Gurnall
Am I walking in humility? Do I have a teachable spirit? Am I amazed that God would use me?
6. Losing a _________________ heart.
“Any problem can be solved, if people have a servant’s heart.”
~ Bobby Moore
Do I have a servant’s heart? Am I committed to making those around me a success? Do I esteem all others as better than myself?
7. Failing to ________________ _____________ biblically.
Is my conscience clear with every person? Is there anyone that I know who has something against me that I haven’t gone to? Is there anyone who has sinned against me, that I haven’t gone to?
8. Settling for the ______________ ________.
Am I exercising faith in the power of God? Am I seeking God for fresh vision and opportunities to glorify Him? What am I believing God for that only He can do?
9. Serving without __________________.
Is my service motivated by genuine love for God and others?
10. Losing ______________________________.
a. Forgetting how __________ ________ is leads to _________________.
“Our circumstances are the means of manifesting how wonderfully perfect and extraordinary pure the Son of God is.”
~ Oswald Chambers
b. Forgetting how ______________ we are – leads to _____________ and self-sufficiency.
Does my life demonstrate a conviction that God is omnipotent and sovereign?
11. Expressing __________________________.
- Am I content with God’s provision in my life? Am I content with where He has placed me?
- Am I an encourager, a “cheerleader” for my fellow workers? Do I pray for, support, and lift up the hands of those entrusted with the leadership of the ministry?
12. Seeking __________________ and ________________.
- If this ministry were no more virile than my walk with God, what would be the condition of this ministry?
- Am I self-seeking or self-denying? Have I surrendered all of my “rights” to myself—to my personal desires, comfort, and convenience?
Let us press on, in patient self denial,
Accept the hardship, shrink not from the loss;
Our portion lies beyond the hour of trial;
Our crown beyond the cross.
~ W.H. Burleigh
From subtle love of softening things,
From easy choices, weakening …
From all that dims Thy Calvary,
O Lamb of God, deliver me …
When the slothful flesh would murmur,
Ease would cast her spell
Set our face as flint till twilight’s
On Thy brow we see a thorn-crown,
Blood drops in Thy track,
O forbid that we should ever
Turn us back.
~ Amy Carmichael
Lord, send me anywhere—only go with me;
Lay any burden on me—only sustain me;
And sever every tie, but the tie that binds me to
Thy service and to Thy heart.
~ David Livingstone
© Revive Our Hearts. Used with permission. www.ReviveOurHearts.com